The American Cyclopædia (1879)/Dover (New Jersey)
DOVER, a town of Morris co., New Jersey, on the Rockaway river and Morris canal, about 7 m. N. N. W. of Morristown and 32 m. W. by N. of New York; pop. about 2,000. It is on the Delaware, Lackawanna, and Western railroad, and is the terminus of the Chester branch. It is situated in a region abounding in fine natural scenery, but derives its chief importance from the iron mines of the vicinity, and from its iron manufactures. The town contains an extensive rolling mill, a planing mill, a sash, blind, and door factory, a steam saw mill, a carriage factory, a brass and iron found ery, a printing establishment, and machine and car shops. There are six churches, four hotels, a national and a state bank, two savings banks, and a newspaper.