The American Cyclopædia (1879)/Fort Madison
FORT MADISON, a city and the capital of Lee co., Iowa, on the Mississippi river, 12 m. above the lower rapids, and 17 m. S. W. of Burlington, on the Chicago, Burlington, and Quincy, and the Burlington and Southwestern railroads; pop. in 1850, 1,509; in 1860, 2,886; in 1870, 4,011. It is built on ground rising gradually from the river. The houses are for the most part of brick, and are surrounded by grounds tastefully arranged, and shaded by ornamental trees. The city is the site of the Iowa state prison, a limestone structure containing 318 cells, and furnished with extensive workshops. The number of convicts in 1873 was 264. The court house and county jail are substantial structures. The river is crossed by ferries. Fort Madison is a place of considerable trade, and its manufactures are important, including hardware and machinery, lumber, flour, brick, woollens, wine, &c. There are five hotels, four public halls, a public library, a theatre, and a national bank. The Fort Madison academy has an average attendance of 100 pupils. The city contains five public schools, two weekly newspapers, and nine churches.—Fort Madison was first settled in 1832, and was incorporated as a town in 1836. It derives its name from a fort erected in 1808, and named in honor of James Madison.