The American Cyclopædia (1879)/Jersey (county)
JERSEY, a W. county of Illinois, bounded W. by Illinois river, and separated from Missouri on the S. by the Mississippi; area, 352 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 15,054. The surface is diversified with prairies and woodlands, and the soil is generally fertile. The main line and the Jacksonville division of the Chicago and Alton railroad, and the Rockford, Rock Island, and St. Louis railroad, traverse it. The chief productions in 1870 were 558,367 bushels of wheat, 519,120 of Indian corn, 71,770 of oats, 39,330 of potatoes, 13,226 lbs. of wool, 180,078 of butter, and 11,650 tons of hay. There were 4,531 horses, 2,978 milch cows, 7,977 other cattle, 4,552 sheep, and 16,056 swine; 2 manufactories of boots and shoes, 3 of carriages, 2 of boats, 7 of cooperage, and 8 flour mills. Capital, Jerseyville.