The American Cyclopædia (1879)/Lansingburgh
LANSINGBURGH, a village of Rensselaer co., New York, on the E. bank of the Hudson river, opposite the mouth of the Mohawk, and joining Troy on the south; pop. in 1870, 6,372. It has communication with Troy by the Troy and Boston railroad and by horse cars, and by the latter with Waterford, 1 m. N. on the other side of the river. It is handsomely laid out, with streets crossing each other at right angles and shaded with trees, and has an excellent fire department. Besides a large number of brush factories, for which Lansingburgh is particularly noted, there are two manufactories of oil cloth, one of valves, two of crackers, and one of knit goods. It has a national bank, five hotels, three public schools, a female seminary, a Roman Catholic school, a weekly newspaper, and seven churches.