The American Cyclopædia (1879)/Leavenworth (county)
LEAVENWORTH, a N. E. county of Kansas, bounded N. E. by the Missouri river, which separates it from Missouri, and S. by the Kansas; area, 460 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 32,444. The surface is undulating, diversified with prairies and timber lands; the soil is fertile. The Leavenworth branch of the Kansas Pacific railroad traverses it, and it is also crossed by the Kansas Central and the Missouri Pacific railroads. The chief productions in 1870 were 31,647 bushels of wheat, 1,133,188 of Indian corn, 193,851 of oats, 295,980 of potatoes, 14,380 lbs. of wool, 254,837 of butter, and 19,796 tons of hay. There were 4,480 horses, 4,701 milch cows, 8,007 other cattle, 3,406 sheep, and 17,435 swine; 11 manufactories of carriages, 10 of clothing, 8 of furniture, 2 of iron castings, 1 of machinery, 4 of marble and stone work, 9 of saddlery and harness, 2 of soap and candles, 6 of tin, copper, and sheet-iron ware, 16 of cigars, 5 breweries, 3 flour mills, and 8 saw mills. Capital, Leavenworth.