The American Cyclopædia (1879)/Morristown
MORRISTOWN, a post village in Morris township, capital of Morris co., New Jersey, on the Whippany river and the Morris and Essex division of the Delaware, Lackawanna, and Western railroad, 43 m. N. N. E. of Trenton, and 32 m. by rail W. by N. of New York; pop. about 5,000. It is built on an elevated plain commanding beautiful views of the surrounding country. The streets are regularly laid out, the houses neatly built, and there is a public square in the centre, in which is a soldiers' monument. It is the principal market for the surrounding country, which is rich in agricultural products, and it contains a handsome court house, two national banks, manufactures of iron, &c., six hotels, five schools, three weekly newspapers, and eight churches. It is a favorite summer residence for citizens of New York. Morristown is noted as having been the headquarters of the American army on two occasions during the revolutionary war, in the winters of 1776-7 and 1779-'80. The remains of an old fort are still visible in the rear of the court house. The house occupied by Gen. Washington is now the property of the state.
About 3 m. from the village a new state insane asylum, one of the largest and best arranged in the country, is in course of erection. It is to be completed early in 1875, and with site and equipments will cost about $2,000,000. The grounds embrace 408 acres. The entire length of the building is 1,243 ft., and the depth, from the front of the main centre to the rear of the extreme wing, 542 ft. The wings on the right and left of the centre building are three stories high, except those at the extreme ends, which are two stories. It is built principally of light granite quarried on the grounds, in ornamental style, and will accommodate about 1,000 patients.