The American Cyclopædia (1879)/New Castle (Pennsylvania)
NEW CASTLE, a borough and the capital of Lawrence co., Pennsylvania, on the Shenango river, at the mouth of Neshannock creek, 45 m. N. N. W. of Pittsburgh; pop. in 1870, 6,164. It is situated 2 m. above the junction of the Shenango with Mahoning river, on the Beaver and Erie canal, and on the Erie and Pittsburgh, and a branch of the Pittsburgh, Fort Wayne, and Chicago railroad. Its manufactures of iron and glass are extensive. There are also flour mills, three banks, a savings institution, graded public schools, four weekly newspapers, and ten churches.