The American Cyclopædia (1879)/Newark (Ohio)
NEWARK, a city and the capital of Licking co., Ohio, at the confluence of three branches of the Licking river, on the Ohio canal and on the Baltimore and Ohio and the Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, and St. Louis railroads, 33 m. E. by N. of Columbus; pop. in 1850, 3,654; in 1860, 4,675; in 1870, 6,698. It is situated on a level plain, in the midst of a productive country, and is well built and laid out with spacious streets. In the vicinity are quarries of sandstone, an extensive coal mine, and several coal oil factories. The city contains two banks, graded public schools, and three newspapers.