The American Cyclopædia (1879)/Newport (county)
NEWPORT, a S. E. county of Rhode Island, consisting of a small portion of the mainland and several islands, including Rhode, Canonicut, and Prudence islands in Narragansett bay, and Block island, S. W. of it; area, 136 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 20,050. It has an undulating surface and a generally fertile soil, and contains large quantities of coal. The Old Colony railroad terminates in Newport. The chief productions in 1870 were 92,975 bushels of Indian corn, 76,980 of oats, 16,661 of barley, 92,878 of potatoes, 39,044 lbs. of wool, 266,775 of butter, and 17,229 tons of hay. There were 1,426 horses, 3,659 milch cows, 1,620 working oxen, 2,007 other cattle, 19,930 sheep, and 2,615 swine. The total number of manufacturing establishments was 184, with a capital of $993,350, and annual products amounting to $2,346,232. The most important were 1 copper-smelting establishment, 2 manufactories of cotton goods, 3 of furniture, 1 of cotton and woollen machinery, 6 of brick and stone, 10 of fish oil, 5 of tin, copper, and sheet-iron ware, 3 of upholstery, 14 flour mills, and 13 ship yards. Capital, Newport.