The American Cyclopædia (1879)/Salem (New Jersey)
SALEM, a city and the county seat of Salem co., New Jersey, on a creek of the same name, 3 m. from its mouth in the Delaware river, 32 m. in a direct line and 44 m. by rail S. S. W. of Philadelphia; pop. in 1850, 3,052; in 1860, 3,865; in 1870, 4,555; in 1875, 4,459. The creek is navigable to this point by vessels of 50 tons. There is regular communication with Philadelphia by steamer and by the West Jersey railroad. The city owes its prosperity chiefly to the rich agricultural resources of the surrounding country. It contains manufactories of glassware for druggists' use, oil cloth, carriages, &c., fruit-canning establishments, ship yards, a national bank, two building associations, seven public and six private schools, two weekly newspapers, and eleven churches.