The American Cyclopædia (1879)/Taliaferro
TALIAFERRO, a N. E. county of Georgia, drained by affluents of the Ogeechee and Little rivers; area, 185 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 4,796, of whom 2,987 were colored. The surface is hilly and the soil generally fertile. Granite, gneiss, sulphuret of iron, and magnetic ore are found. It is intersected by the Georgia railroad. The chief productions in 1870 were 9,418 bushels of wheat, 78,815 of Indian corn, and 3,024 bales of cotton. There were 543 horses, 2,120 cattle, 1,220 sheep, and 3,714 swine. Capital, Crawfordsville.