Open main menu

TALLAPOOSA, an E. county of Alabama, intersected by the Tallapoosa river, and drained by its branches; area, 700 sq. m.; pop in 1870, 16,963, of whom 4,190 were colored. The surface is hilly and the soil in some parts fertile. The Savannah and Memphis railroad traverses it. The chief productions in 1870 were 48,468 bushels of wheat, 267,764 of Indian corn, 33,353 of oats, 26,236 of sweet potatoes, 5,446 bales of cotton, and 10,439 lbs. of wool. There were 1,224 horses, 1,198 mules and asses, 8,251 cattle, 3,538 sheep, 12,799 swine, and 26 flour mills. Capital, Dadeville.