The American Cyclopædia (1879)/Trentschin
TRENTSCHIN (Hung. Trenscény), a N. W. county of Hungary, bordering on Moravia, Austrian Silesia, and W. Galicia; area, 1,784 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 248,626, nearly all Slovaks and Roman Catholics. It is traversed by two branches of the Carpathian mountains, and watered by the Waag and its affluents. Its chief products are corn, fruit, flax, and hemp; and it has famous mineral springs. The capital, Trentschin, on the left bank of the Waag, is remarkable for the springs in its vicinity, and for its castle, one of the oldest and strongest in Hungary, situated on a rocky eminence; pop. in 1870, 3,449.