The American Cyclopædia (1879)/Tufts College
TUFTS COLLEGE, an institution of learning in Medford, Mass., founded by Universalists. The corner stone of the original edifice was laid July 19, 1853, and the building finished in the spring of 1854. It is of brick, 100 by 60 ft., and three stories high. Besides this there are at present three large dormitories furnishing accommodations for 150 students. The college was named in honor of Charles Tufts, who gave it 70 acres of land for a site. Its total endowment now amounts to more than $1,000,000. The institution was opened in August, 1854. In 1867 the divinity school was organized. The first president was the Rev. Hosea Ballou, 2d, D. D., who died in 1861, and was succeeded by the Rev. Alonzo A. Miner, D. D., LL. D. Dr. Miner resigned in 1876, and was succeeded by the Rev. Elmer Hewitt Capen. In the college department there are two parallel courses of four years each. The first is the usual college course, for which the degree of bachelor of arts is given. The second resembles the first, but gives more scope to elective studies, and permits the substitution of the modern languages for Greek. For this course the degree of bachelor of philosophy is given. There is also an engineering course of three years. The full course in the divinity school is three years for bachelors of arts and four years for others; but students are admitted for shorter periods. For theological students tuition and room rent are free. The library of the college contains more than 16,000 volumes and 5,000 pamphlets. The museum contains good collections of minerals, shells, birds, and botanical specimens. In 1875-'6 the collegiate department had 10 professors, 1 instructor, and 73 students, viz.: classical course, 56; engineering, 12; philosophical, 2; resident graduates, 3. The divinity school had 3 professors, 1 instructor, 3 lecturers, and 23 students. The number of graduates of the college was 225; of the divinity school, 21.