alternatively known as The American Review: A Whig Journal and The American Whig Review, was a New York City-based monthly periodical. Published by Wiley and Putnam, it was owned and operated by George H. Colton. The first issue of The American Review was dated January 1845, though it was likely published as early as October 1844. The timing was purposeful so that it could promote Whig candidate Henry Clay in the presidential election against James K. Polk, who was supported by the Democratic Review. The American Review ceased publication in 1849, unable to continue paying its contributors.