The Civilization of China
- Chapter I —The Fedual Age
- Chapter II — Law and Government
- Chapter III — Religion and Suprestition
- Chapter IV — A.D. 220-1200
- Chapter V — Women and Children
- Chapter VI — Literature and Education
- Chapter VII — Philosophy and Sport
- Chapter VIII — Recreation
- Chapter IX — The Mongls, 1260-1368
- Chapter X — Mings and Ch'ings, 1368-1911
- Chapter XI — Chinese and Foreigners
- Chapter XII — The Outlook
The aim of this work is to suggest a rough outline of Chinese civilization from the earliest times down to the present period of rapid and startling transition.
It has been written, primarily, for readers who know little or nothing of China, in the hope that it may succeed in alluring them to a wider and more methodical survey.
Cambridge, May 12, 1911.