Open main menu

The Dictionary of Australasian Biography/Chute, General Sir Trevor

< The Dictionary of Australasian Biography

Chute, General Sir Trevor, K.C.B., formerly Commander of the Forces in Australia and New Zealand, third son of the late Francis Chute, of Chute Hall, co. Kerry, by Mary Anne, daughter of Trevor Bomford, of Dublin, was born at Tralee, in 1816. He entered the army in 1831, became lieutenant in 1836, captain in 1839, major in 1847, lieut.-colonel in 1849, colonel in 1854, major-general in 1864, lieut.-general in 1872, and brevet-general in 1877. He served with the 70th Regiment in India for twelve years, and went through the Mutiny, being on May 24th, 1857, in charge of the force which occupied the fort of Hote Murdaw. From August 1858 to Jan. 1860 he commanded a brigade at Lucknow, and in Feb. 1861 embarked in command of the 70th Regiment for New Zealand. He served with his regiment during the Maori war, and in March 1863 was appointed brigadier in command of the Australian colonies. In 1865 he succeeded General Cameron in command of the forces in New Zealand, with the local rank of Brigadier-General. In the following year he conducted a campaign in the Wanganui district, capturing many pas, including Okatuku (Jan. 4th, 1866), Putahi (Jan. 7th), Otapawa (Jan. 13th), and Waikoko (Feb. 1st). The effect of this campaign was successfully to open up the road between Wanganui and Taranaki. It was during these operations that the shooting of a Maori prisoner of war by order of General Chute led to subsequent complications between the Governor (Sir George Grey) and the Colonial Office. Sir Trevor Chute, who was created K.C.B. in 1867, administered the government of New South Wales from the departure of Sir John Young (afterwards Lord Lisgar) to the arrival of the Earl of Belmore, Dec. 24th, 1867, to Jan. 7th, 1868, and left for England in 1870. General Chute was placed on the retired list in 1881. In 1868 he married Ellen, eldest daughter of Samuel Browning, of Epsom, Auckland, New Zealand. He died at Egmont, Bracknell, Berks, on March 12th, 1886.