The Dictionary of Australasian Biography/Hobhouse, Right Rev. Edmund
Hobhouse, Right Rev. Edmund, D.D., first Bishop of Nelson, N.Z., second son of the Right Hon. Henry Hobhouse, and brother of Lord Hobhouse, by Harriet, sixth daughter of John Turton, of Sugnall Hall, co. Stafford, was born April 17th, 1817, and educated at Eton and at Balliol College, Oxford, where he graduated B.A. in 1838, M.A. (Merton College) in 1842, B.D. in 1850. In 1841 he was ordained deacon, and in 1842 priest From 1841 to 1858 he was Fellow of Merton College, and from 1843 to 1858 vicar of St. Peter's-in-the-East. In 1858 he was appointed to the newly constituted bishopric of Nelson, N.Z., and received the degree of D.D. from his University, proceeding ad eundem in the same year at Durham. In 1865 Dr. Hobhouse was obliged to resign his see because of ill-health, and, returning to England, was made assistant to the Bishop of Lichfield in 1869, which post he held till 1880. In 1874-5 he was Chancellor of the diocese of Lichfield. He retired from ill-health in 1881, and is now residing in Wells. Bishop Hobhouse married first, on Jan. 1st, 1858, Mary Elizabeth, second daughter of General the Hon. John Brodrick; secondly, on Jan. 7th, 1868, Anna, youngest daughter of Dr. Williams, Warden of New College, Oxford.