The Dictionary of Australasian Biography/Stanton, Right Rev. George Henry
Stanton, Right Rev. George Henry, D.D., Bishop of Newcastle, N.S.W., was born at Stratford on Sept. 3rd, 1835. He was educated at Hertford College, Oxford, and graduated B.A. in 1858 and M.A. in 1862, receiving the honorary degree of Doctor of Divinity in 1878. He was ordained deacon in 1858 and priest in 1859, and was curate of Christ's Church, Rotherhithe, from 1858 to 1862; of All Saints', Maidstone, from 1862 to 1864, of St. Saviour's, Fitzroy Square, London, from 1864 to 1867; and vicar of Holy Trinity, St. Giles-in-the-Fields, London, from 1867 to 1878; on June 24th in which year he was consecrated first Bishop of North Queensland, in St. Paul's Cathedral, by Archbishop Tait and Bishops Jackson, Browne, Thorold, and Barker (of Sydney). A few months later Bishop Stanton left for his new diocese, where no difficulties in the way of travelling, whether over trackless bush or swollen rivers, ever daunted him in the discharge of his duties in a truly pastoral and missionary spirit. In 1888 Bishop Stanton visited England to attend the Pan-Anglican Conference, held at Lambeth in that year, and took the opportunity to appeal to English liberality on behalf of his diocese, which, with a view to its more efficient working, he proposed to divide. In Nov. 1890, much to the regret of his North Queensland flock, Dr. Stanton accepted the bishopric of Newcastle, N.S.W., vacant by the resignation of Dr. Pearson (q. v.).