The Dictionary of Australasian Biography/Williams, Sir Edward Eyre
Williams, Sir Edward Eyre, an eminent Victorian jurist, was a native of England, and was called to the English Bar in 1833. Shortly after the foundation of Port Phillip, he went to that settlement, and for ten years practised his profession in Melbourne. In 1844 he was elected a member of the Bourke District Council, with which he remained connected for some seven or eight years. On the separation of Port Phillip from New South Wales, Mr. Williams announced himself as a candidate for the Loddon in the Legislative Council of Victoria; but he did not go beyond issuing an address, as in July 1851 he was appointed Commissioner of the Court of Requests for the city of Melbourne and the county of Bourke. In Jan. 1852 he became in addition Chairman of Quarter Sessions, and also continued to practise before the Supreme Court, where he held the leading position. In April 1852 he took office as Solicitor-General, and became an ex-officio member of the Legislative Council. He was, however, almost immediately afterwards appointed to the third puisne judgeship of the Supreme Court of Victoria which it was found necessary to create. He retained his seat upon the Bench until 1874, when he resigned through ill-health and returned to England. He was knighted in 1878, and died in 1879.
From Supplement, page 541:
Williams, Sir Edward Eyre (p. 509). This distinguished jurist was the son of Burton Williams, a planter in Trinidad, West Indies, by his marriage with the daughter of Major Hartley. He married Jessie, daughter of Rev. Charles Gibbon, of Loumay, Mintlaw, Aberdeenshire, by his marriage with Miss Duff, a cousin of the Earl of Fife's.