The Encyclopedia Americana (1920)/Mississippi, University of
MISSISSIPPI, University of, at New Oxford, Miss., was chartered 23 Feb. 1844, and the Lyceum building, two dormitories and residences for four professors, built from the plans of William Nicholl, elected supervising architect, were ready for the opening of the first session which took place 6 Nov. 1848, with a faculty of four members and 50 students. From its opening until 1880 the university was maintained by annual appropriations made by the legislature. In 1856 a special appropriation of $100,000, to be paid in five yearly instalments, was made by the legislature and with the aid of this the university made its first large growth in facilities and equipment. Since then commensurate with the growth of the institution the legislature has provided the necessary funds. The departments besides the collegiate comprise governmental science, law, engineering, pedagogy, medicine and pharmacy. The liberal appropriations made by the legislature have enabled the university to enlarge its facilities with fine new buildings, including a commodious dormitory for women students, who were welcomed to the university courses upon equal conditions with men in 1882, and a new library building, in part a gift from Andrew Carnegie, erected in 1911. The tuition fees are $60; annual living expenses amount to $130. The faculty now numbers 30; the average annual attendance of students is 400. From its inception to 1917 the number of graduates was 2,200, of whom 1,700 were living; during the World War, 1914-18, 400 of the students were enrolled with the colors.