The New International Encyclopædia/Augustana College and Theological Seminary
AUGUSTA′NA COL′LEGE AND THE′OLOG′ICAL SEM′INARY. Founded at Chicago, in 1860, by the Swedish Augustana Synod of the Lutheran Church. It removed to Paxton, Ill., in 1863, and to Rock Island in 1875. The institution is co-educational except in the theological department. The library contains 18,000 volumes. The number of students, distributed among the various departments is as follows: Theological 69, collegiate 126, academic 79, normal 33, business 178, and music and art 214. President (acting), C. W. Foss, Ph.D.