The New International Encyclopædia/Detmold
DETMOLD, det′mō̇lt (OHG. Theotmalli, Thiatmalli, people's court). The capital of the German Principality of Lippe and residence of the Prince, situated on the Werre, at the edge of the Teutoburg Forest, about 47 miles southwest of Hanover (Map: Germany, C 3). It consists of an old and a new town, the latter of which is well built, and adorned with many fine public walks and gardens. The chief buildings are the old and new palaces, the Rathaus, and theatre. Its educational institutions include a gymnasium, a manual training school, a deaf and dumb school, and a library of some 70,000 volumes. The industries, which are comparatively unimportant, include the manufacture of buttons, labels, tobacco, and furniture. There are also several breweries. Population, in 1890, 9733; in 1900, 11,971. The sturdy ‘Senner’ race of horses is bred near Detmold. The Externsteine, a much-visited group of rocks, with a grotto and a quaint religious relief, are in the vicinity. About two miles to the southwest of the town, on the Grotenburg, one of the highest points of the Teutoburg Forest, stands the colossal Hermanns-Denkmal, or Arminius Monument, erected in honor of the famous Cheruscan Prince who gained in the neighborhood such a signal victory over the Roman general Varus. Detmold was the scene of a victory won by Charlemagne over the Saxons in 783. In 1011 it was presented by King Henry II. to the bishops of Paderborn, and from them it came to the Lippe family. It received civic rights in 1350.