The New International Encyclopædia/Lansford
LANS′FORD. A borough in Carbon County, Pa., 44 miles north of Reading; on a branch of the Central Railroad of New Jersey (Map: Pennsylvania, F 3). It has extensive coal-mining interests, being situated in the productive anthracite fields of the State. Settled in 1845, Lansford was incorporated in 1876, the charter of that year now operating to provide for a government vested in a burgess, chosen every three years, and a council, which controls appointments to the most of the important administrative offices. Population, in 1890, 4004; in 1900, 4888.