Open main menu

LEWISBURG, lū′ĭs-bûrg. A borough and the county-seat of Union County, Pa., 30 miles south by east of Williamsport; on the west branch of the Susquehanna River, and on the Pennsylvania and the Philadelphia and Reading railroads (Map: Pennsylvania, E 3). It is the seat of Bucknell University (Baptist), opened in 1846. The borough is the commercial centre for a fertile grain and general farming region, and has woolen, flour, and lumber mills, furniture and chair factory, machine-shop, acetylene gas works, a shirt-factory, etc. Population, in 1890, 3248; in 1900, 3457.