The New International Encyclopædia/Lexington (Kentucky)
LEXINGTON. A city and the county-seat of Fayette County, Ky., 98 miles south of Cincinnati, Ohio; on the Chesapeake and Ohio, the Lexington and Eastern, the Louisville and Nashville, the Queen and Crescent Route, the Southern, and other railroads (Map: Kentucky, G 2). It is the centre of the widely celebrated ‘blue grass region,’ is well built, and has a public library, the State Asylum for the Insane, Kentucky Reform School, Kentucky University (Christian), organized in 1836, State Agricultural and Mechanical College, Sayre Female Institute, Hamilton and McClelland female colleges, Saint Catherine's Academy (Roman Catholic), and other educational institutions. Other points of interest are Woodland Park, the racetracks, and several noted stock farms. Lexington is commercially important as the market for the ‘blue grass’ district, and is well known also for the manufacture of Bourbon whisky. The manufactures include also flour, saddlery and harness, carriages and wagons, canned goods, and planing-mill, foundry, and machine-shop products. The government is administered under a charter of 1894, by a mayor, elected every four years, a bicameral council, and subordinate officials, the majority of whom are chosen by the people. Population, in 1890, 21,567; in 1900, 26,369.
In 1775 several hunters, including Robert Patterson, Simon Kenton, and William McConnell, stopped on the site of Lexington, gave it its present name to commemorate the battle of Lexington, and built a cabin to confirm their title to the land. A permanent settlement was made by Patterson four years later. In 1782 the town was incorporated by the Virginia Legislature. From 1792 to 1793 it was the capital of Kentucky, and here, in 1792, assembled the first State Legislature. In 1832 a city charter was secured. It was the home from 1797 until his death of Henry Clay, in memory of whom a noteworthy monument has been erected.