The New International Encyclopædia/Littleton
LITTLETON, lĭt′t’l-ton. A town in Grafton County, N. H., 113 miles north by west of Concord; on the Ammonoosuc River and on the Boston and Maine Railroad (Map: New Hampshire, H 4). An elevated location and the superb scenery of the White Mountains contribute to its popularity as a summer resort. The great water-power from the river has developed the manufacturing interests, the principal products being whetstones, gloves, shoes, stereoscopic views, bobbins, and carriages. There is a public library, the building having been presented by Andrew Carnegie. The government is administered by town meetings. Littleton was settled in 1770, and was known as Apthorp until 1784, when it was incorporated under its present name. Population, in 1890, 3365; in 1900, 4066. Consult a sketch in the Granite Monthly, vol. v. (Concord, N. H., 1881).