The New International Encyclopædia/New Ulm

NEW ULM. A city and the county-seat of Brown County, Minn., 26 miles west by north of Mankato; on the Minnesota River, and on the Chicago and Northwestern and the Minneapolis and Saint Louis railroads (Map: Minnesota, D 6). It has a handsome court house, Saint Alexander Hospital, a public library and high school and Turnverein libraries, Saint Michael's Academy, and Dr. Martin Luther College (Lutheran). New Ulm is the centre of a rich agricultural and stock-raising section, and carries on considerable trade. Its industrial establishments comprise grain elevators and flour mills, breweries, cigar factories, brick plants, machine shops, cooperage shops, and manufactories of pipe organs, woolens, pottery, and creamery products. Under a revised charter of 1891, the government is vested in a mayor, elected biennially, and a council. There are municipal water-works and electric-light plants. Settled in 1854, New Ulm was incorporated in 1876. It was in 1862 the scene of an Indian massacre. A memorial has been erected to the citizen soldiers killed by the Indians, and on Hermann Heights is a fine monument in honor of Hermann (Arminius). Population, in 1890, 3741; in 1900, 5403.