The New International Encyclopædia/Newark (Delaware)
NEWARK, nū′ärk. A town in Newcastle County, Del., 12 miles west by south of Wilmington; on the Baltimore and Ohio and the Philadelphia, Baltimore and Washington railroads (Map: Delaware, O 2). It is the seat of Delaware (State) College (q.v.), and of Newark Academy. There are extensive paper manufactures, also wall-paper mills, fibre works, machine shops, etc. The water-works and electric light plant are owned and operated by the municipality. Population, in 1890, 1191; in 1900, 1213.