Open main menu

NEWAYGO, nē̇-wā′gō̇. A village and the county-seat of Newaygo County, Mich., 37 miles north of Grand Rapids; on the Muskegon River, and on the Pere Marquette Railroad (Map: Michigan, H 5). It is situated in a region that has attained considerable popularity as a place of resort, being noted particularly for its hunting and fishing. The village, especially known for its cement works, is engaged in manufacturing also furniture, flour, and lumber products. Population, in 1890, 1330; in 1900, 1172.