The New International Encyclopædia/Northwestern University
NORTHWESTERN UNIVERSITY. A co-educational institution at Evanston-Chicago, Ill., in affiliation with the Methodist Episcopal Church, founded in 1851. It comprises a college of liberal arts, and schools of law, medicine, pharmacy, dentistry, and music and oratory. The college of liberal arts and the school of music are at Evanston, the professional schools in Chicago. Students are admitted on certificate from accredited schools or on examination in three groups of studies. The courses in the college lead to the bachelor's and master's degrees in arts, philosophy, science, and letters, and to the degree of doctor of philosophy. The college course is largely elective after the second year, and provision is made for advanced credits by which the time required for subsequent professional studies may be shortened. Advanced courses in certain departments are offered to graduate students, but this work is not organized into a distinct graduate school. Two schools of preparatory instruction are maintained by the university, the Academy, in Evanston, and the Grand Prairie Seminary at Onarga. The Garrett Biblical Institute, under Methodist Episcopal control, forms the theological department of the university, and maintains close relations with the Norwegian-Danish Theological School and the Swedish Theological Seminary, both at Evanston. In 1903 the university had 305 instructors and 3691 students, of whom 769 attended the college. The college campus covers about 45 acres, on the shores of Lake Michigan, with well-equipped buildings, including the Dearborn Observatory and the Library building, the latter containing the general and Greenleaf libraries, with about 52,000 volumes and 33,000 pamphlets. The endowment in 1902 was $4,000,000, the income $465,000, and the total value of property under the control of the colleges, $6,761,250.