Open main menu

PHŒNIX. A city in Lee County, Ala., on the Chattahoochee River, opposite Columbus, Ga., and on the Central of Georgia Railroad (Map: Alabama, D 3). It is a residential place, and is also of considerable importance as a commercial centre. Among the chief buildings are the city hall and the fraternal society hall. Settled about 1860, Phœnix was first incorporated in 1883. It is governed under a charter of 1894, which provides for a mayor, elected every two years, and a council. Population, in 1890, 3700; in 1900, 4163.