The New International Encyclopædia/Shreveport
SHREVE′PORT. The parish seat of Caddo Parish, La., 170 miles east of Dallas, Texas; on the Red River, and on the Texas and Pacific, the Saint Louis South western, the Kansas City Southern, the Houston and Shreveport, and other railroads. (Map: Louisiana, B 1). Among the noteworthy features of the city are the Charity Hospital, a sanatorium, Cooper Building, First National Bank Building, the United States post-office, the court-house, and the high school building. Shreveport is in a rich cotton and stock raising region, and is of considerable commercial importance. It carries on a large wholesale trade, especially in groceries, dry goods, and hardware. In addition to several establishments connected with cotton—cotton factory, large compressors, and warehouses—there are molasses works, foundries and machine shops, lumber mills, etc. The government, under the charter of 1898, is vested in a mayor, chosen every two years, and a unicameral council. Shreveport was settled in 1833, and was first incorporated in 1839. Population, in 1890, 11,979; in 1900, 16,013.