The New International Encyclopædia/Talladega
TAL′LADE′GA. The county-seat of Talladega County, Ala., 60 miles east of Birmingham; on the Southern and the Louisville and Nashville railroads (Map: Alabama, C 2). It is the seat of State schools for the deaf, dumb, and blind; of Talladega College (Congregational), an institution for colored students; and of a Presbyterian Orphans' Home. Talladega has considerable industrial importance. There are cotton mills, a cottonseed-oil mill, an iron furnace, and manufactories of hosiery and fertilizers. Under the charter of 1901 the government is vested in a mayor, elected biennially, and a unicameral council. The water-works and the gas plant are owned and operated by the municipality. On the site of Talladega, General Jackson, at the head of 2000 men, defeated a force of 1000 Creek Indians on November 9, 1813, the Indians losing about 300, and the Americans, 15 killed and 86 wounded. Population, in 1890, 2063; in 1900, 5056.