The New International Encyclopædia/Washington (Georgia)
WASHINGTON. The county-seat of Wilkes County, Ga., 75 miles northwest of Augusta, on the Central of Georgia Railroad (Map: Georgia, D 2). It has Saint Joseph's Academy and the Mary Willis Library. The village is the commercial centre of a district producing cotton, grain, and lumber, and has cotton mills, carriage factories, foundries and machine shops, and manufactories of fertilizers, cottonseed oil, engines, furniture, etc. The water-works and the electric light plant are owned by the municipality. Population, in 1890, 2631; in 1900, 3300.