Open main menu

WEST SPRING′FIELD. A town, including several villages, in Hampden County, Mass., on the Connecticut River, opposite Springfield, and on the Boston and Albany Railroad (Map: Massachusetts, B 3). It is the residence of many business people of Springfield. There is a public library with more than 7000 volumes. The community is chiefly interested in farming, market gardening, and the manufacture of paper and cigars. The Boston and Albany Railroad maintains extensive repair shops here. The waterworks are owned by the town. West Springfield, originally a part of Springfield, was settled about 1655, and was incorporated in 1774. Population, in 1890, 5077; in 1900, 7105.