The New Student's Reference Work/Augusta (Georgia)
Augusta, county seat of Richmond County, Georgia, a city of 41,040 inhabitants, situated at the headwaters of the Savannah River. It was laid out by Oglethorpe, the founder of the state, in 1735 as a trading post for the Indians. It became a point of historic interest and military importance during the Revolutionary War, was visited by Washington in 1792 and by Lafayette in 1825. It is beautifully laid out in wide streets and avenues, noted for their regularity and abundance of shade trees. Greene Street, the main residence street, is 170 feet wide, with a park in the center, the length of the street, shaded with a double row of stately trees. The Augusta canal, nine miles long, developing 14,000 horse power, is one of the widest and deepest in the entire county. It was built and is owned by the city, and furnishes water-power for a dozen large cotton mills. Milling and cotton selling are the main industries of the city. The factory population numbers 15,000. The capital employed is about $6,000,000, running 9,000 looms and 300,000 spindles. Besides these, there are large iron foundries and railroad shops. Augusta is well equipped with hospitals, orphan asylums, electric car lines, parks and public schools. It is a favorite winter resort for northern tourists, having a fine winter hotel, The Bon Air. Its soft climate, beautiful situation and enterprising and hospitable people make it an attractive place for industrial pursuits as well as for social pleasures.