Azov (ä-zŏv′), Sea of, is a large gulf in the Black Sea. It was first called the Mæotic Marsh, from the name of the people dwelling on its shores. The Turks called it Fish Sea. The water is almost fresh. The whole sea is shallow, and measures 235 by 110 miles. The largest river emptying into it is the Don. During the Crimean War, there were sent to this sea, in 1855, a number of war vessels having on board 16,500 French, English and Turks. With this hostile array, the allies bombarded the ports and cut off supplies intended for Sebastopol.