The New Student's Reference Work/Jackson (Michigan)
Jackson, a city and the county-seat of Jackson County, central southern Michigan, lies on both sides of Grand River, which is here crossed by 17 bridges (five of iron), 76 miles west of Detroit and 37 south of Lansing, at the intersection of several railroads. It has a number of flour, paper and planing mills and foundries and machine shops; the Michigan Central locomotive-works, breweries and manufactures of automobiles, furniture, carriages, wagons, boilers and machinery, farming implements, corsets, underwear, etc. There is a flourishing general trade. Within the city-limits and close by are several mines of bituminous coal. The city has handsome churches and public school buildings, Y. M. C. A. building, a masonic temple and a Carnegie Library. Jackson was settled in 1830 .and became a city in 1857. Population 31,433.