The New Student's Reference Work/Kansas City, Kan.
Kansas City, Kan., an important railway center and county-seat of Wyandotte County, at the junction of the Kansas and Missouri Rivers, which separate it from Kansas City, Mo. The town was organized in 1886 by the union of Wyandotte, Armourdale and Armstrong, and incorporated as a city. It has communication with Kansas City, Mo., by cable and electric roads. It is a great center of the live-stock trade of the west, and here is one of the largest packing-houses in the United States. In addition to the immense live-stock trade carried on here, there is a considerable trade done in grain, with many large grain-elevators and other facilities for handling and storing wheat and other grains in large volume. Tnere also are several steam and flour-mills of larg capacity, railroad car shops, machine shops, smelters, iron and steel works, cotton mills, a cement works, terracotta works, a journal-box factory, a malleable casting foundry, elevators, soap and candle factories. The city has excellent public and parochial school-systems and a magnificent high-school, and is the seat of Kansas City University, a college of medicine and surgery, St. Margaret's and Bethany hospitals, besides many fine public buildings. Some 15 bridges here connect the two rapidly-growing and populous cities. The population of Kansas City, Kan., is 82,331.