The New Student's Reference Work/Lake Forest College
Lake Forest College, a Presbyterian coeducational institution, is located at Lake Forest, Ill., 28 miles north of Chicago. It was chartered in 1857 as Lind University. In 1865 the name was changed by the legislature to Lake Forest University. It comprises Lake Forest Academy, Ferry Hall Seminary, Lake Forest College, Chicago College of Dental Surgery and Chicago-Kent College of Law. Its faculty numbers 127, with 1,400 students. Its library contains more than 30,000 volumes. The productive funds amount to $609,000. Its Bross lectureship belongs to the same class as the Gifford and Bampton of Great Britain.