Open main menu

Lan′sing, the capital of Michigan, county-seat of Ingham County, on both sides of Grand River. It is 72 miles southeast of Grand Rapids and 85 northwest of Detroit. It is well-equipped with parks, and has electric railways and other adjuncts of a live modern city. It contains the state capitol, library, industrial school, agricultural college, school for the blind, a hospital and U. S. government buildings. It has many manufactures of agricultural implements, flour, stoves, machinery, beetsugar, canned goods, trunks, wheelbarrows, knit goods, carriages and wagons. It was settled in 1847, and at the same time made state capital, and became a city in 1859. Population 31,229.