The New Student's Reference Work/Nashville, Tenn.
Nash′ville, Tenn., capital of Tennessee, lies mainly on the left bank of Cumberland River, about 200 miles from the Ohio, which is here crossed by a steel truss and a railway drawbridge. Two more steel bridges are in course of construction for street traffic. It is a well-built city, containing the new capitol, a penitentiary and a large insane asylum. Besides an excellent school-system, it is the seat of Nashville University, Vanderbilt University, and for young ladies has Ward Seminary and Belmont, Buford, Radnor and Boscobel College and St. Cecelia's Academy (Roman Catholic). Central Tennessee College, Fisk University, Roger Williams University (the last three for colored students) and the state normal school also are here. It has a good trade in cotton, tobacco, flour, oil, paper, timber, leather, iron and spirits; and it has five shoe factories, six iron foundries, and is the largest hardwood market in the United States. It is served by four railroads, and has city ownership of the lighting-plant and waterworks. The town was founded in 1780, and became the capital in 1843. General Thomas defeated the Confederates under Hood here, in December, 1864. Population 110,364.