The New Student's Reference Work/Norwich, Ct.
Nor′wich, Ct., shares with New London the honor of being county seat of New London County. It stands at the head of the Thames, the chief portion of the town lying on an eminence between the Yantic and Shetucket, which here unite. It manufactures paper, cotton and woolen goods, cords, pistols, files, iron pipes, and has large leather belt factory, also tanneries and iron works. The town is well-known for its schools; Norwich Free Academy, an incorporated and heavily endowed institution, takes the place of a high school. An art school, a fine art museum and manual training are connected with this academy. The land on which it stands was given to an Englishman by Uncas, the chief of the Mohicans, in 1656. Population 28,219.