Oil City, Pa., a town lying on both sides of Allegheny River. It lies 133 miles northeast of Pittsburg, is in the oil-region, and is one of the largest oil-markets of the state. It has oil-refineries, engine and boiler factories and large manufactories of barrels. It has public and (R. C.) parochial schools, and among its noteworthy buildings are the Oil-Exchange, the Standard Oil Company’s office, Carnegie library and several churches. In 1892 the town was visited by an unusual catastrophe: a flood of burning oil from Titusville. Over $1,000,000 worth of property was destroyed. Population 15,657.