The New Student's Reference Work/Phœnix, Ariz.
Phœnix, Ariz., a city, the county-seat of Maricopa County and the capital of the territory; situated on the Santa Fé, Prescott and Phœnix and Maricopa and Phœnix railroads, in the south-central part of the territory. It was settled in 1870 and incorporated in 1881. It is in a mining region with good farm-land in the valleys, in which are extensive olive-groves, and controls a large trade in live-stock, grain, hay, honey, wines, oranges and other fruits. The chief industrial interests are the stockyards, machine-shops and jobbing houses. Among the public buildings are the capitol, agricultural experiment-station, insane asylum, court-house, city-hall, churches and schools. It is provided with good schools, both public and private. An Indian school here deserves special mention. It has more than 400 students, and, besides its regular course of instruction, has departments that teach manual training. Government is vested in a mayor, who holds office for two years, and a council. Population 11,134.