The New Student's Reference Work/Philippopolis
Philippopolis (fĭl′ĭp-pŏp′ō̇-lĭs), capital of eastern Rumelia or southern Bulgaria (q. v.), on the navigable Maritza, 110 miles from Adrianople. It manufactures silk, cotton, tobacco and leather. Population 45,707, of whom half are Bulgarians, the remainder being Turks, Greeks etc. Philippopolis was occupied by the Russians in 1878, and in 1885 a revolution broke out here which led to the incorporation of eastern Rumelia (q. v.) with Bulgaria.