The New Student's Reference Work/Princeton University
Princeton University was founded in 1746 at Newark, N. J., as the College of New Jersey. It removed to Princeton in 1752, and in 1896 changed its name to Princeton University. It is the fourth oldest among American colleges. Its second president was Aaron Burr, Sr., whose son became vice-president of the United States. Among other distinguished presidents we find the names of Jonathan Edwards, Francis Patton, and Woodrow Wilson. Nassau Hall, the oldest building, was a barracks and a hospital during the Revolution. Among the graduates of Princeton, which has always ranked with Yale and Harvard, stand some of the most distinguished men in American history. The university consists of the academic and graduate departments and of John C. Green School of Science, the last including departments of science, civil engineering and electrical engineering. Bachelor's, master's and doctor's degrees are conferred. There are 13 fellowships and 113 scholarships. The faculty numbers 174, the students 1,442 and the library 278,000 volumes. The productive funds amount to $3,702,600 and the income to $1,316,984. Princeton Theological Seminary (Presbyterian), founded in 1812, has 16 instructors, 163 students and a library of 72,000 volumes. With the seminary is associated the fame of The Princeton Review, (1825-72), edited by Charles F. Hodge.