The New Student's Reference Work/St. Michael's College, Can.


St. Mi′chael’s College, Can., was established in 1852 at Toronto by the Basilian fathers from Annonay, France, at the request of the Rev. Dr. de Charbonnel, then Bishop of Toronto.  It numbers amongst its earlier students Archbishop O’Connor of Toronto, Bishop O’Connor of Peterboro and Bishop Dowling of Hamilton.  In 1881 the college was affiliated to the University of Toronto in order to have a relationship similar to that existing between similar institutions in England and Ireland and the London University.  St. Michael’s is a federated college and part of the University of Toronto.  It is not, however, merely a theological college.  It has commercial, classical and philosophical courses.