The Patents Act, 1970
THE PATENTS ACT, 1970
- (39 OF 1970)
- [As Amended By the Patents (Amendment) Act, 1999.]
- (As effective from the 1st January, 1995)
LIST OF AMENDING ACT AND ADAPTATION ORDERS
- The State of Himachal Pradesh (Adaptation of Laws on Union Subjects) order, 1973
- The North-Eastern Areas (Reorganization) (Adaptation of Laws on Union Subjects) Order, 1974
- The Laccadive, Minicoy and Amindivi Islands (Alteration of Name) Adaptation of Laws Orders, 1974.
- The Repealing and Amending Act, 1974 (56 of 1974)
THE PATENTS ACT, 1970
ARRANGEMENT OF SECTIONS
- CHAPTER I : PRELIMINARY
- CHAPTER II :INVENTIONS NOT PATENTABLE
- CHAPTER III: APPLICATIONS FOR PATENTS
- CHAPTER IV: EXAMINATION OF APPLICATIONS
- CHAPTER IVA: EXCLUSIVE MARKETING RIGHTS
- CHAPTER V: OPPOSITION TO GRANT OF PATENT
- CHAPTER VI: ANTICIPATION
- CHAPTER VII :PROVISIONS FOR SECRECY OF CERTAIN INVENTIONS
- CHAPTER VIII: GRANT AND SEALING OF PATENTS AND RIGHTS CONFERRED THEREBY
- CHAPTER IX :PATENTS OF ADDITION
- CHAPTER X :AMENDMENT OF APPLICATIONS AND SPECIFICATIONS
- CHAPTER XI :RESTORATION OF LAPSED PATENTS
- CHAPTER XII :SURRENDER AND REVOCATION OF PATENTS
- CHAPTER XIII: REGISTER OF PATENTS
- CHAPTER XIV: PATENT OFFICE AND ITS ESTABLISHMENT
- CHAPTER XV: POWERS OF CONTROLLER GENERALLY
- CHAPTER XVI:WORKING OF PATENTS, COMPULSORY LICENCES, LICENCES OF RIGHT AND REVOCATION
- CHAPTER XVII :USE OF INVENTIONS FOR PURPOSES OF GOVERNMENT AND ACQUISITION OF INVENTIONS BY CENTRAL GOVERNMENT
- CHAPTER XVIII :SUITS CONCERNING INFRINGEMENT OF PATENTS
- CHAPTER XIX :APPEALS
- CHAPTER XX: PENALTIES
- CHAPTER XXI :PATENT AGENTS
- CHAPTER XXII: INTERNATIONAL ARRANGEMENTS
- CHAPTER XXIII: MISCELLANEOUS
This work is the work of Government of India. Section 52(1)(q) of the Indian Copyright Act, 1957 allows for the reproduction or publication of
- any matter which has been published in any Official Gazette except an Act of a Legislature;
- any Act of a Legislature subject to the condition that such Act is reproduced or published together with any commentary thereon or any other original matter;
- the report of any committee, commission, council, board or other like body appointed by the government if such report has been laid on the Table of the Legislature, unless the reproduction or publication of such report is prohibited by the government;
- any judgement or order of a court, Tribunal or other judicial authority, unless the reproduction or publication of such judgement or order is prohibited by the court, the Tribunal or other judicial authority, as the case may be.
The decision of the Supreme Court of India in "Eastern Book Company & Ors vs D.B. Modak & Anr" on 12 December, 2007 interpreted this section of the Act as making the material public domain.
This work is also in the public domain in the U.S. because it is an edict of a government, local or foreign. See § 313.6(C)(2) of the Compendium II: Copyright Office Practices. Such documents include "legislative enactments, judicial decisions, administrative rulings, public ordinances, or similar types of official legal materials" as well as "any translation prepared by a government employee acting within the course of his or her official duties."
This work is in the public domain in the U.S. because it is an edict of a government, local or foreign. See § 313.6(C)(2) of the Compendium II: Copyright Office Practices. Such documents include "legislative enactments, judicial decisions, administrative rulings, public ordinances, or similar types of official legal materials" as well as "any translation prepared by a government employee acting within the course of his or her official duties."
These do not include works of the Organization of American States, United Nations, or any of the UN specialized agencies. See Compendium III § 313.6(C)(2) and 17 U.S.C. 104(b)(5).